Thursday Thirteen #3
13 Things About Dane Bramage
13 Facebook Apps to Waste Your Precious Time On
As you may know, NaNoWriMo begins this Sunday. I usually have no problem on the weekends cranking out my word count. During the week is another matter. I get easily distracted by computer things. This year I have two new additions. World of Warcraft and Facebook. WoW will be easy enough to deal with. When my time expires, I just won't renew until after November 30th. Facebook on the other had has a bunch of free applications (apps) that usually require dailly maintenance. Here are 13 Facebook appa that are likely to waste my precious time.
- Mafia Wars Do jobs to earn money and experience. Recruit Facebook Friends to be in your Mafia family. Fight other players.
- Vampire Wars Do jobs to earn money and experience. Recruit Facebook Friends to be in your Vampire clan. Fight other players.
- Space Wars Do jobs to earn money and experience. Recruit Facebook Friends to be in your Space fleet. Fight other players.
- Dragon Wars Do jobs to earn money and experience. Recruit Facebook Friends to be in your Dragon Alliance. Fight other players.
- Pirates! Do jobs to earn money and experience. Recruit Facebook Friends to be in your Pirate crew. Fight other players.
- Battle Stations This spaceship building game is more graphically appealing than your standard app. But basically its the same premise as the others.
- Farm Town Big Facebook hit. You plant crops. You wait. You harvest crops. You expand. Lots of fun.
- Farmville Zynga the "wars" company created a knock off of Farm Town. Sufficiently different to try though.
- Dungeons and Dragons Tiny Adventures Completely different but not necessarily in a good way. You make a character. You pick missions. Time elapses and your mission will consist of 6 to 18 die rolls. You pass or fail each roll. If you fail the last roll of the mission you fail the mission. You earn experience and cash to buy gear.
- Cafe World My new best diversion. You run a cafe by cooking meals hiring waiters, serving dishes and expanding your building. Big fun! I NEED NEIGHBORS!
- Superhero City Do missions to earn money and experience. Flash animation for the fights is a very nice bonus but otherwise same as the rest.
- Castle Age Higher quality artwork, more variations on gear but same type of app.
- Starfleet Commander This app is quite different from the others. It appeals to the classic 4X strategy gamer in me.
Okay This should have been called Pirate Wars but I think someone had already taken the name. These games are remarkably similar so learning one teaches you the rest. Some are more popular than others and the "wars" list goes on.
Now the main purpose of these apps is to make money. You can play for free forever but you can enhance your game play by exchanging real money for virtual money to buy virtual goodies and boons for your squad/clan/tribe/crew/family/team etc. And of course they make it almost imperative for you to sign up your Facebook friends as "teammates", a reciprocal arrangement which allows you to be a member of their "team" at the same time. So if you are on Facebook and play any of these apps, send a friend request to Dane Bramage (Akron Ohio) and tell me what game you are in and I will be your neighbor!
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. Its easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants