Friday, October 02, 2009

Coming Soon! NaNoWriMo 2009!

It is that time of year again and I am planning to participate in National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo for short. I am under pressure this year to complete a novel (or novella for some of you purists) of at least 50,000 words. But I have to start it November 1st and complete it by midnight November 30th. The reason for the pressure is I completed the challenge last year so I am hopeful I can do it this year. The finished work needn't be ready for publishing and in most cases the end result requires numerous rewrites. But the object is to get the ideas out of your head and down on paper (or electronic media).

The biggest hurdles I will face this year will be depression over my economic situation, and World of Warcraft. To my credit I have gotten my toon in WoW to level 80 so as long as Cataclysm isn't released in Novemember I should be fine. Of course Blizzard could tempt me by releasing Starcraft II instead.

Last year my novel focused on a starship Captain, his android first mate and his strange collection of crew. Instead of furthering the adventures of my ensemble I have decided to change directions slightly. this year I have a new main character who has the ability to move through dimensions to different worlds. These worlds can be like modern day Earth or like Camelot or like Naboo. So it will be a blending of Sci-fi and fantasy backdrops.

I am hoping to get some support by encouraging my friends to participate this year. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just left Nanowrimo again (won 2003, left 2004, and left after two days 2009. I just can't take all the liberal and political assumptions, cynicism, Christian-bashing, swearing, obscene references to sexual acts, etc., etc., that pop up without warning in the forums. (One woman in 2004 got very ticked at me when, when she asked if anyone minded if she read from her "erotica" at a public gathering, and I said "yes." Guess it wasn't really a question...) And, if you're not participating in the forums or the gatherings, what's the point of doing it via the site? I'd be very interested in hearing what value you find in Nanowrimo. Personally, I just haven't got nearly a thick enough skin.

Dane Bramage said...

All of the points you made about NaNoWriMo are spot on. But those points are true about the world in general. I attended only one local gathering last year and was astounded to find that of the ten writers in attendance, six were writing "young adult erotica" usually vampire/magic themed.

But there was one other sci-fi writer there and that is what I focused on. I avoid the general forums and only read the local and sci-fi. They have been clean and supportive if not specifically helpful. Behavior you describe is not allowed by TOS and should have been reported.

The value I find in NaNoWriMo is support. I could do it all without going to the forums and certainly without the local gatherings but they provide a structure without which I might still be one of those people who has a book in them but never finds the time to get it out of them. I am also fortunate that I have a co-worker who has participated and is again this year.